The Indigenous Literacy Foundation works as an initiative of the Australian Book Industry with the support of:
Indigenous Literacy Day
Indigenous Literacy Day (ILD) will be celebrated this year on Wednesday 7 September 2016.
What is Indigenous Literacy Day?
Indigenous Literacy Day is the most important fundraising and advocacy day on our calendar. Events and fundraisers are held all across Australia.
On ILD we spread the word about improving literacy levels and opportunities for Indigenous children living in some of the most remote and isolated parts of our country. Funds raised on Indigenous Literacy Day buys books and resources for these communities.
Below is a short clip from our Ambassador Andy Griffiths talking about the 2014 ILD day at the Sydney Opera House with Alison Lester, MC Natalie Ahmat and 400 school children.
What happens on Indigenous Literacy Day?
- Publishers make donations and help promote the year-round work of our Foundation.
- Booksellers hold readings, book launches and/or other literary events. Some donate part of their day's earnings, and customers make donations in the designated boxes on their counters
- Schools across Australia hold the Great Book Swap fundraiser, readathons and other fundraising or classroom activities
- Businesses, clubs and organisations might also host a Great Book Swap or another fundraiser
- Libraries hold book themed events, and collect donations
What can you do to help on Indigenous Literacy Day?
- Hold a Great Book Swap with your school, bookclub or friends
- Buy a book from a participating bookseller
- Make a donation online or at your nearest bookshop
- Help organise a fundraising event
- Advocate for us on social media
Tell us about your event!
Let everyone know about the event you're planning. Send us the details and we can share it on our website.
Thank you supporters
We have a huge range of supporters we would like to acknowledge. Contact us if your organisation would like to be a supporter in 2016!
2016 Celebrations at the Sydney Opera House
This year, we will launch a fabulous collection of stories in a new book, The Goanna Was Hungry at the Sydney Opera House. This event promises to be bigger than ever with celebrations at the Opera House including ILF ambassadors, supporting schools and students, and community members from some of the remotest communities in WA. Be sure your school or organisation has signed up to our Great Book Swap for ILD and watch out for news about a new song, Words Make the World Go Round, written by Josh Pyke, Deborah Cheetham and Justine Clarke, released for ILD.