The Indigenous Literacy Foundation works as an initiative of the Australian Book Industry with the support of:
Indigenous Literacy Day
Indigenous Literacy Day (ILD) will be celebrated this year on Wednesday 7 September 2016.
What is ILD?
ILD is the biggest day in our calendar! Events and fundraisers are held all across Australia.
In 2014 we celebrated Indigenous Literacy Day in style at Sydney Opera House, with our Ambassadors Andy Griffiths, Alison Lester, MC Natalie Ahmat and 400 school children.
What does ILD aim to do?
On ILD we spread the word about improving literacy levels – and opportunities – for Indigenous children living in some of the most remote and isolated parts of our country.
The funds raised on ILD buy books and other literacy resources for these communities.
What happens on ILD?
- Publishers make donations and help promote the year-round work ILF does.
- Booksellers hold readings, book launches and/or other literary events, donate part of their day's takings to ILF and encourage customers to make donations by way of the designated boxes on their counters.
- Schools in every state and territory host Great Book Swap challenges, readathons and/or other fun-filled fundraising and classroom activities.
- Businesses, clubs and organisations host Great Book Swap challenges and/or other fundraisers.
- Libraries hold book-themed events, including for children, and collect donations.
What can you do to help on ILD in 2016?
- Buy a book from a participating bookseller.
- Make a donation online or at your nearest bookshop.
- Help organise an ILD event (like a book exchange or morning tea) at your workplace, social or sports club, reading group or home.
- Like us on Facebook and Twitter.
Indigenous Literacy Day events in 2016
Wherever you live, there's bound to be something on near you!
Tell us about your event!
Let everyone know about the event you're planning. Send us the details and we can advertise it on our website.
Click here to contact us.
Indigenous Literacy Day 2014 was possible with the help of:
Contact us if your organisation would like be a supporter in 2016!